Sunday, April 3, 2011

And Sometimes a Smile


There has always been this little thought that I have stored in the back of my head since high school. I had heard the idea reiterated time and time again by countless numbers of teachers, mentors and speakers. The idea is simple, smile.

They say that it takes more muscles to force a frown than it does to make a smile. Whether that is true or not, I could care less, but the idea behind it is that you may as well smile because it's less effort. But is it really less effort? Think about it, when do you smile? When something has gone your way? When someone made you feel special? Think back for a second, picture a treasured memory and reminisce it... Feel a lot more light hearted now? Easier to smile per chance?
When you walk from class to class at school do you smile? I sure don't... I often find myself caught in a trance of sorts, barrelling down hallways and pathways getting prepared for my next class. Often I will walk by people I know without even noticing them, only to receive a text message a minute later from them asking me why I am upset today. I guess that I just look mad, not a stigma I would like to have associated with myself...

The point here is that although it may seem easy to smile, it's not, you have to teach yourself to smile. If I do not tell myself to put a smile on, which takes about just as much effort as not thinking about smiling, I will not smile. Basic concept eh?

The power of a smile is incomparable to any other gesture. The power that is held in between your lips and teeth is more than you could imagine. I consciously tell myself to smile, only because, the person who sees the smile, may just needed it that day. I can guarantee you that one smile can change someones day, I am sure it has changed some of yours.

On a somewhat related note, I love interacting with strangers, people that I do not know. Whether it be handing out pamphlets and giving a two line speech to everyone who walks through a door, or waving at a car full of teenagers (usually girls, you know how I do) while they pull up next to me at a traffic light. There is something mysterious, foreign and yet intoxicating about interaction with people you do not know. Whenever I do find myself in these situations I always put on a smile. It gives off that warmth, that feeling of "Hey! We just met but I feel like I have known you for years!" You know, all that good stuff.

Now, all that mumbo jumbo to say one thing. Smile.


1 comment:

  1. We're still in a good place: we mostly still encounter smiles.

    It may be a greeting, a glance or a thought. We wade through our days with small moments gratified. Why? Because days are activity ridden, filled with tiny moments of 'now' that keep those infectious speculative thoughts at bay.

    Alone, far away from interaction things tend to get somber. With people, we get hope and we anticipate more activity. There's activity in relating. Alone, there's only neurological firings.

    There is a loss with smiles however. Depth. The epitomized smiley face is bright yellow, two eyes and a mouth - not much complexity there. But of course, who wants the trappings of multiplicity.

    Yet, there are smiles that do come from firing through complex affairs. The school grade for instance, or the resolved relational disruption or the long anticipated arrival of a friend.

    But for the most part, our smiles are superficial. Yet, without them, our days would rot. If we can only keep them up.

    I plead with those of you who have a solution for my intensity. I long for relational activity to keep me up, but die for a moment of deep reclusive creative stimulation. I may not be smiling, but I am deeply gratified. People can bore me to death.

    mindbender

    ReplyDelete