Friday, August 19, 2011

Happy


Today at work I composed a playlist entitled "Good Hearted Electronic Tunes." The goal was simple: To make myself feel happy as I ploughed through a long day.

Music has a huge amount of power and influence over our lives. Music is all around us, all the time. Because of the power that music has I am convinced that listening to positive music makes a huge difference in our mental states. While I am not about to quote you a list of sources I am going to take the word of my educated mother when she tells me that minor keys make people sad.

Think about it. Quickly compare some Death Cab with Owl City and you will see the difference instantly. Putting aside the insane amount of synth layers, you will notice that the driving melodies make you feel encouraged, happy and joyful as opposed to sad, reflected and all around chill.

Now, there is nothing wrong with mellow music, I myself am a complete fan of Death Cab and the like. But too much of anything is a bad thing.

You + Too Much Death Cab = A sad you...

In the same regard...

You + Too Much Owl City = Everyone wanting to punch you!

The math is simple. So, if you're listening to too much sad music switch it up a little and play this video...


and if you're listening to too much happy music try this one out for size...


Moderation in everything is the key.


Peace and Love, or else...

No comments:

Post a Comment